The Society organises the following events each year:
- Eight talks, held on Monday evenings from September to May at Huddersfield University. Non-members are welcome to attend evening talks (for £2).
- A Saturday study day each autumn, on a theme in local history. This year’s, on Saturday 19 November, will explore the theme ‘Hands on History’, using the resources of Heritage Quay at the University of Huddersfield.
- A summer outing, usually in June.
Luddite Memorial Lecture
The Society commemorated the bicentenary of the Luddite uprising in 2012 and decided to organise an annual Luddite Memorial Lecture, on themes from Yorkshire radical history, jointly with the University of Huddersfield.
The 2017 lecture, to be given by Dr Katrina Navickas, Reader in History at the University of Hertfordshire, will take place on Wednesday 5 April 2017.
Local History Lunchtime Club
Huddersfield Local Studies Library run a Local History Lunchtime Club, every two months on Wednesdays; the 2017 programme has now been announced.
Huddersfield and District Family History Society
Friends of Greenhead Park
Between May and November 2017, a series of “History Hours” are taking place at Greenhead Park:
- 3 May — A walk round Greenhead Park revealing hidden aspects of its history (David Griffiths)
- 7 June — John Edward Shaw of Burlington House (Brian Haigh)
- 5 July — The villas of Edgerton: Home to Huddersfield’s Victorian elite (David Griffiths)
- 6 September — Reading the cards: Postcard collecting and local history (Trevor Ellis)
- 4 October — European exiles in Huddersfield (Frank Grombir)
- 1 November — topic to be confirmed
Information about a range of walks of historical interest can be found on our Walks page.