The Society publishes an annual Journal, which welcomes contributions on all aspects of Huddersfield history. The 108-page 2018/19 issue is now on sale to the public.
2018/19: Issue 29
To order the print copy at £5.75 including UK postage, please write to HLHS, 24 Sunnybank Rd, Huddersfield, HD3 3DE, enclosing a cheque payable to Huddersfield Local History Society. Overseas purchasers should use the contact form before ordering so that we can advise you on postage cost.
If you would prefer to order online using PayPal, the journal is available in both print and electronic formats. Please note that UK postage will be calculated at the checkout for the paperback edition. If ordering from overseas, the PDF version incurs no additional costs and can be downloaded immediately, otherwise if ordering the print copy please contact us first so that we can provide a quote for the postage costs.
Paperback (excluding postage)
Contents of Issue 29
- History Written by the People and for the People (Frank Grombir)
NEWS AND EVENTS
- The Society’s Programme of Events 2018-2019
- The Society’s Publications
- Edward Law History Prize
- The Society’s Web Site — Huddersfield 150 Page
- Kirklees Heritage Forum
- Our Heritage Partnerships
- Disappearing Curiosities
- Death on the Home Front (Pam Brooke)
- Homes Fit for Heroes: Victory Avenue (Christine Verguson)
- Under Castle Hill: Finding Home from Home in Huddersfield (Phil Wood)
- Marsden Manor: The Metropolitan Connection (Peter Whitehead)
- Chief Constable Ward’s “Pleasant Trip” to Spain: A Tale of Embezzlement, Extradition and the Enforcement of the Law in Victorian England (David Taylor)
- Dispersal Bussing in Huddersfield during the 1960s and 1970s: Solving “the Problem” of Immigrant Children (Joe Hopkinson)
- George Faulkner Armitage: An[Other] Arts and Crafts Designer in Huddersfield (David Griffiths)
- Two Huddersfield Politicians and their Connections with the Wessenden Valley, Marsden (Christine Piper)
- Our Local “Order of Chivalry”: Huddersifeld’s Jubilee Freemen in 1918 (Anne Brook)
- Huddersfield’s Legal and Political Pioneer: Mary E. Sykes (1896-1981) (Katie Broomfield)
- Alan Brooke, Keith Brockhill and Mark Butterfield
OBITUARIES AND DEATH NOTICES
- John (J C) Brook
- Walter Clive Cranston
- Karl Steel
- Roger Atkin
- Mark Hardcastle
- Betty Eagles
Recent Back Issues
Recent back issues can be ordered at £1.00 each (excluding p&p for the paperback version), using the buttons below.
2017/18 (contents page)
2016/17 (contents page)
2015/16 (contents page)
2014/15 (contents page)
The Society has made its back run of older newsletters and journals available to download for free.