Our latest publication, Names, Places & People: a selection of articles from Old West Riding, is now available to pre-order for £6.95 (+p&p).
This 160 page paperback book, which is edited by Cyril Pearce, will be launched on 23rd November 2019 at our Annual Study Day.
Old West Riding published 23 editions from 1981 to 1995. It was a joint venture by three local historians – Jennifer Stead, George Redmonds and Cyril Pearce. This collection of over a dozen articles is dedicated to George Redmonds, who died in August 2018.
Please note that copies ordered online will not be shipped until 23rd November.
- Selections from Old West Riding — Cyril Pearce
- Language and Local Topography
- Huddersfield and Yorkshire Dialect — Stanley Ellis
- Surnames and Settlement — George Redmonds
- Turf Pits — George Redmonds
- Local Customs
- Ringing Adam Bells 1 — Jennifer Stead
- Ringing Adam Bells 2 — Jennifer Stead
- The Textile Industry
- Foundlers at Marsden — Philip Charlesworth
- The Uses of Urine 1 — Jennifer Stead with Arthur Saul
- The Uses of Urine 2 — Jennifer Stead
- Two Historic Houses
- The Bradley Family and their Newhouse — Edward J. Law
- Woodsome Hall, Some Estate Correspondence — Edward J. Law
- Going to America
- West Riding Emigrants 1843 — George Redmonds
- Emigration of the Scott Family and Friends 1842 — Jennifer Stead
- John Broadbent (1795-1856) and the Vegetarian Colony, Kansas — Helen Broadbent
- Early Modern Morality
- Archbishop Neile’s Primary Visitation of the Huddersfield District, 1633 — John Addy