November Study Day 2019
Saturday 23rd November
9.30am to 4.00 pm, Brian Jackson House, New North Parade, Huddersfield, HD1 5JP
Language, People and Places
A Tribute to the life and work of Dr George Redmonds
- 9.30 Registration and Coffee
- 10.00 Chair’s welcome and launch of the Society’s 2019 publication, Selections from Old West Riding
- 10.15 Prof. Peter McClure (University of Nottingham) George Redmonds and the Making of English Surnames
- 11.15 Dr. Harry Parkin (University of Chester) Your City’s Place-Names: Leeds: methods for researching place-name origins
LUNCH 12.15 – 1.45
- 1.45 Dr. Stephen Moorhouse Names, Landscapes and George Redmonds
- 2.45 BREAK
- 3.00 Alexandra Medcalf (Borthwick Institute, York) The Yorkshire Historic Dictionary
- 4.00 CLOSE
Brian Jackson House is located in a converted railway goods warehouse located beside the railway interchange in the heart of the town centre: Google Map.
All-day parking available in the Bus Station car park (Google Map with directions) and Springwood car park (Google Map with directions). Both the bus and railway stations are less than 100 metres away.
The building has disabled access.
Book a Place
If you would like to book more than more place, please place one booking at a time for each person. Please remember to include the name and contact details for each person.
Option 1: Book a Place with Lunch (£15)
If you require a gluten-free, vegetarian or vegan lunch, please specify this using the “additional information” box on the checkout page. You can also use this box to provide details of any dietary requirements.
Option 2: Book a Place without Lunch (£6)
Please select this option if you plan to bring your own lunch with you or you would prefer to buy your own lunch on the day. The venue is close to the town centre where you will find a variety of shops and restaurants.